PAMCO Hall Effect Ignition for the XS650
The PAMCO Hall Effect Ignition system is a direct
replacement for the points plate and points cam system on a
Yamaha XS650. It can also be installed in later models of
the XS650 that have a factory TCI system by installing the
complete mechanical advance mechanism.
The system requires the use of a dual output coil,
similar to the MikesXS model #17-6903 or #17-6822. The stock
coil in the TCI equipped models may be retained when
installing this system.
Note: Use either resistor spark plugs or
5K resistor spark plug caps.
Technology: Hall effect sensor, IGBT coil driver
Dwell: Fixed, 60 degrees
Coil primary resistance: 2 to 3 Ohms, dual output.
Operating voltage: 6 to 18 VDC
Operating current: 13 ma
Operating Temperature: -40 to +150C (-40 to 302F)
Spark Advance: Standard, centrifugal
Installing on a '80 to '84 requires the installation of the
centrifugal advance system and cam bushings. (Available from www.mikesxs.com. )
1 Do not apply power until the installation is complete.
2 Do not apply power unless both spark plugs are
- Do not test for spark with one or both plugs
- Do not disconnect battery with engine running.
- Ensure that the battery cable connections are secure.
- Do not leave the ignition on when engine is not running.
- Do not use MikesXS part number 17-6810 ("Green
Monster") coil. Use of this coil will void the warranty.
- Leave the spark plugs installed in the engine while doing
this installation to prevent small parts from falling into the cylinders.
Failure to follow these cautions may damage the system
and render it inoperative and void the warranty.
It is recommended that the advance rod and centrifugal
unit be serviced prior to installing this system.
- Remove the gas tank.
- Remove the two ignition coils and condensers in a ‘71
to ‘79 model.
- Disconnect the plug from the TCI on a ’80 to ’84
- Install MikesXS coil, or use the stock coil on ’80 to
- Connect the Red/White wire from the wiring harness
(switched battery) to either terminal on the coil.
- Remove the points cam, points plate, points, condenser
- Install the PAMCO replacement plate with the two hold
- Route the wiring harness from the replacement plate to
- Connect the wires from the harness :
- Red wire to battery connection on coil. Or to other Red
/ White wire
- Green wire to the other coil terminal
- No other wires should be connected to the green wire
- Black wire to a good frame ground.
Note: You must ground the black wire to a good frame
ground. The ground on the plate is not reliable while
setting the timing.
- Install the "rotor" on the advance rod shaft.
- Install the large washer and nut with the
16. Hold the rotor firmly to the right (clockwise) when
tightening the nut on the shaft.
17. Hold the nut on the advance mechanism firmly when
tightening the nut on the "rotor".
18. Remove the access cover to the alternator.
Reinstall the gas tank and proceed as follows to set the
timing. A strobe type timing light is required to set the
- Loosen the hold down screws on the plate.
- Rotate the plate to position the hold down screws at the
mid point of the upper slot.
- Tighten the upper hold down screw.
- Connect the timing light. Note that with a dual output
coil, some timing lights may be erratic due to the fact that
there are opposite "polarities" in the plug wires.
If the timing light is erratic, then clip on to the opposite
- Start the engine and immediately shine the beam on the
timing mark on the alternator rotor.
- The strobe should illuminate the timing mark when it is
between the two marks labeled "F".
- If necessary, loosen the hold down screw on the plate
and rotate the plate clockwise to advance the timing and
counter clockwise to retard the timing.
- Tighten both hold down screws securing the plate.
For additional technical assistance: email@example.com
Additional instructions also available at: www.yamahaxs650.com
Testing Procedure: Click